Saturday, March 10, 2012

Step Up

This past Monday I went to a step aerobics class at the gym.  With a Barbie instructor.  With too much energy.  Who likes to do planks.  I hate her.
I have been to step classes before and really enjoyed them. It is a great work-out, but this week was different. The class started out like normal. But, about 20 minutes in, Barbie tells us that we are going to do some ab work so we need to get on our mats. I envision crunches, which are bad enough, but I was sadly mistaken. Next thing I know she is yelling into her Madonna headset that we need to get into a plank. Which of course elicits a giggle from me because I know there is no way I can do a plank. She gives a less challenging option which I cling to like a life raft. We go from planks into push ups, while I utter death threats under my (shallow and labored) breath. In my mind I am thinking, "Ummm, I came for a step class... Where we stay on our feet... Upright.... Can we get back on the step now?" We finish a song and she asks if we want one more round of ab work to which I furiously shake my head. Barbie ignores me and we go for round 2. She actually sings along with the song at one point. While I gasp for air. Finally we get back up on the step and go back to business as usual. We end the class with more planks (on our sides this time) and afterwards I crawl to my car to calculate how many calories I burned. My Fitness Pal app tells me 977. I think that should be doubled, but I go with it. Think next time it would be awkward if I just stood in the back and did grapevines or box steps for the 10 minutes of planks?

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, this made me laugh. I have so been there with you girl. But wow, how great does it feel to see that app tell you how many calories you burned! And I think it would be awesome if you stood in the back and did grapevines! I had a similar moment in kickboxing last night and I did decide, screw it, I'm going to the back during this awful plank junk and just did my own thing, and YES I got some stares. Oh well! Marching to the beat of my own drum I guess.

    ReplyDelete