Sunday, January 15, 2012

Death by Frogs

So, if you don't already know this about me, I am deathly afraid of frogs.  I have no idea why.  I wish I could tell you that I once saw someone die in front of me from the touch of a poisonous dart frog or some equally awful story to explain this incredily irrational fear, but I got nothin'.  They completely freak me out.  The only way I manage to maintain my cool for frog dissection day at school is the fact that they are dead.  But it definitely still presents a challenge for me where I am forced to go to my happy place for that 45 minutes out of the school year. 
So anyway, I started reading the chronological Bible plan from youversion.com.  I actually have the app on my phone which is awesome because I can just pull it up at any point and read through the daily reading.  I am in Exodus now and was reading on Friday about the ten plagues that hit Egypt because Pharaoh refused to let the Israelites go free.  I have heard this story lots over the past 30 years, but really the only plague I could remember was the locusts (which was the 8th one in case you were wondering), so I was filled with complete horror when I started reading about the 2nd plague. 

"1 God said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh and tell him, 'God's Message: Release my people so they can worship me.2 If you refuse to release them, I'm warning you, I'll hit the whole country with frogs.3 The Nile will swarm with frogs-they'll come up into your houses, into your bedrooms and into your beds, into your servants' quarters, among the people, into your ovens and pots and pans.4 They'll be all over you, all over everyone-frogs everywhere, on and in everything!'"  - Exodus 8:1-4 (MSG)

What?!?!?!?!  No way!  See, even God knew they were evil little things that should be used to torture people.  All I could think was that God could have saved Himself a lot of time had I been in Pharaoh's sandals.  There would have been no need for the next 8 plagues because I would have given in after the first frog was found in my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment