Saturday, June 16, 2012

#4 (Camping) - Check

Last weekend I went on a camping and white water rafting trip with some friends from church.  We left Saturday morning and headed to Tennessee to raft down the Ocoee River.  We got to our campsite and set up our tents and then went to meet up with our guides to get ready to go rafting.  I had never been white water rafting before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Some people said, "It's so much fun, you will love it!"  Others mentioned things like flesh-eating bacteria, falling out, flipping over, and the approximate number of people that die each year rafting this river.  I tried to ignore those people.  I was excited and maybe a little nervous when we reached the end of our bus ride and looked out to see the dam creating some major rapids right at the start.  We had a brief lesson with our fabulous guide and headed down to get in the water.  It was AWESOME!  I wanted to do it again and again. 
We rafted pretty late in the day, so we were ready for a campfire dinner when we got back.  We had hotdogs and S'mores.  We sat around the campfire and talked, laughed, played games, and just enjoyed being together.  It was all fun... until we got in the tent and tried to go to sleep.  My quilt did not provide enough padding on the rock hard ground.  I laid on the ground in the middle of 7 other girls and heard the following: "It is like a sauna in here.  I can't breathe.  Can we open the front flap?"  "NO!  It is supposed to rain and I do not want to wake up in a puddle." (Of course that was assuming we would ever actually fall asleep)  "Who is snoring?"  "I am laying on a limb.  Can we move over a little?"  "Other tents, can y'all hear us?"  "YES!  We are roughly 5 feet away from you."  "Is that rain?"  "Seriously, who is snoring?"  Needless to say I slept approximately 1 hour and then we all got up the next morning and had to attempt to take down the tents and load the car with our wet, muddy, and dirty stuff.  Which is why we were all so very glad to head to Cracker Barrel for breakfast before heading back home.  We had a great time, but I'm pretty sure we all agreed that next time there would need to be a cabin (or a Hilton) involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment