Sunday, July 15, 2012

Plans

Hello my name is Meredith and I am a planner.  I like checklists.  I like details.  I like to know what to expect.

But, faith in action requires us to step out not knowing what the plan is or any of the details. 

Haiti was a big test of faith for me.  A little over a month before the trip we changed locations and increased the trip cost by $400.  I really had to pray through whether or not I should go on this trip and I felt God continually whisper to me that this was part of the reason He led me to this trip.  Not knowing the plan is out of my comfort zone, but God doesn't always want us to be comfortable.  Leading up to the trip I heard the term "graciously flexible" at every turn.  I asked lots of questions and had others asking me questions pertaining to the trip where the response continued to be "I don't know."  And the closer we got to leaving for Haiti the more I was okay with not knowing.  I knew I was being obedient and that was all that mattered.  God knew the plans and I trusted that He was in charge. 

This test of faith has continued here at home, too.  On the trip I had some conversatoins with Ellen (our team leader) about the school she teaches at.  I was intrigued and let her know I might be interested in the future if there was ever a position available.  Eight days after I mentioned that God provided the opportunity for me to teach at Cornerstone Christian School in Woodlawn.  I had lots of questions and "what ifs", but I also had 100% faith that this was where God was leading me and the next part of His plan for me.  So, even though I don't know what to expect on August 1 when I start my new job and I don't know the details about how to teach middle school Science in an inner city school, I know that God's plans are way better than mine and I know that He's got me right where He wants me and there is no place I'd rather be.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment