Saturday, June 26, 2010

A head above the rest

As you already know, I am tall. Not only am I tall, but I am very tall. My dad is 6' 6", so obviously I got his genes as I am 6 feet tall myself (or 5' 12" as I like to say). Being tall has its perks, but it can also be a little irritating at times. With my extra inches I have found additional storage in places that other people cannot reach. I can also see that there is still one box of cereal at the very back of the top shelf in the grocery store. As a teacher my height allows me to come across a little more intimidating when I stand over a student who is off task.

With that being said, there are also some things that are a little irritating with my considerable height. People assume that I am a basketball phenom. I did play on my church basketball team, but I cannot dribble, shoot a proper lay-up or make a 3-pointer. I played on the church team more for the fun than the actual opportunity to acquire some athletic ability.

Carrying my 6 foot frame around also requires that I have very large feet. Finding stylish size 12 shoes is not an easy task. Most of my shoes come from Payless because they carry up to a size 13. (Note to Payless: Please do not waste your time crowding your size 12 shelves with 3 inch heels. People who are shopping for clown shoes are most likely tall, therefore we typically do not want to add 3 inches to our already freakishly tall bodies.) I met a girl the other day who wears the same size shoes I do. She asked where I shop for shoes and I told her that I shop at Payless and Clarks. She said she doesn't really shop at Clarks because she doesn't wear leather since she is a vegan. Hmmm, so you are telling me that you limit yourself and your big feet even more by only wearing pleather??? That is just plain silly. Shopping for pants is also a continuous issue. I have actually been wearing capris my whole life. They just ended up that way after I dried my pants by mistake.

So basically, being tall is just one more thing that makes me uniquely who I am!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it does. I cannot imagine you any other way. I hope one of my girls is "freakishly tall" like you.

    ReplyDelete