Thursday, October 22, 2015

An Open Letter to My Students

Dear Students,
Do you know how many students I have taught so far?  Around 300.  Ten class lists of names.  But the names on those lists are not just names.  They also represent a family and a home (some good, healthy, and full of encouragement and love while others have been lonely, empty, and hurtful).  Oh what I would give to change some of your circumstances and undo some of the things you have seen, heard, and experienced in your young little life.  But that's not how it works.

You bring into my class your life up to that point.  Some of you come in wide-eyed, innocent, silly, and every bit your age.  While some of you come in bitter, apathetic, distant, with the attitude and demeanor of someone who has led a much longer and harsher life than you should have.  It breaks my heart.  It literally hurts me for the hurt you have endured.  But I can't undo the past.  I can't change it for you.

I see so much potential in you to literally be anything you want to be.  A doctor, a teacher, a veterinarian, a pastor, whatever you can dream up.  But too many of you over the years have already decided by age 10 that you don't care.  You don't want to try.  You don't want to work hard.  And as much as I have tried to match your attitude, it just isn't in me to not care.  Which is why I get so frustrated with you at times.  Because I can see things that you can't see and I try so hard to speak truth and love into your young life, but I can't make you want to learn and try and grow.  That is something only you can find for yourself.

I hope to one day be on the front row at your high school and college graduation.  I hope to one day have you as my own doctor or veterinarian.  I hope to see you achieve more than you ever thought possible.  But that all starts with the attitude you have today.  I am going to do my best and continue to pray that God will give me patience in this process and wisdom in how to best teach and love you.  I have not given up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment