Saturday, January 30, 2010

All Growed Up

As I was getting ready for work yesterday morning I started thinking about the fact that I am getting older (I will be turning 30 in 2 years, which I used to consider super-old). Here are the top 10 reasons (in no particular order) that I know I am getting older:
10. In conversations with friends, we now use words like infrastructure.
9. When writing down my students' birthdays, I realized that most of them were born the year before I graduated high school. Earlier this year when we were discussing the events of September 11, they had no recollection of that day because most of them were 3!
8. I have now reached the point in my life where I no longer color my hair for fun or for something different, but now out of necessity.
7. I get very excited when I can be in bed, lights out by 8:30 p.m.
6. When I hear mention of eggs I no longer think of scrambled with cheese or fried. No, now I hear an odd ticking noise. What's that, you ask. Oh nothing, just my biological clock picking up speed.
5. "Where two or more are gathered" ... pluck them! I have now plucked, bleached, and shaved ares of my body that I am pretty sure were never meant to be plucked, bleached, or shaved.
4. Every once in a while I will reference something from childhood and get a blank stare from someone a few years younger than me who has no clue what I am talking about (such as, but not limited to the following: Caboodles, trapper keepers, Crystal Clear Pepsi, the Barbie RV, slap bracelets, hypercolor t-shirts, Fraggle Rock...)
3. I have been around long enough that fashion is starting to cycle back around, such as Converse shoes, flats reminiscent of Sam and Libby, tapered jeans (now referred to as "skinny jeans"), Duck Head length shorts (now referred to as "bermuda shorts")...
2. I now check food labels for the nutrition information, specifically fiber.
1. I have replaced baby oil and other sure to bake your skin products for actual sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment