Monday, December 27, 2010

Year in Review

I cannot believe it is almost the end of 2010. As we approach the start of a new year I have spent some time looking back at this past year and all of the ways God has blessed my life over the past 12 months. Here are a few things that stuck out to me:

1. At the beginning of this year I decided to host a small group through my church. We met on Tuesday nights at my house from January to May. Our group of 8 dwindled to 4, but we had a great time getting to know each other. Then I led a group over the summer with a member from my spring small group (our one and only guy). Over the summer we added a few more people to our group. We read through The Shack together and had fun each week. I led another group in the fall with a girl I met this summer. Through each of these groups God has continued to bless me with new friends from church. I am anxious to get started back with small groups at the end of January!

2. In March of this year our close family friends received some overwhelming news. Their son, Perry (a senior in high school at the time) was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Through much prayer and faith in the ultimate Healer, Perry was declared cancer free in July. He wrapped up chemo in September and finished radiation in October. I admire the way he has handled this situation, and I have seen the peace of God poured out in his life. His family has remained positive and focused on making this a "Victory Tour".

3. In January I started praying for opportunities to serve. I wanted to focus more of my time and energy on being a servant for others, seeing as how I tend to focus way too much time and energy on myself. I started looking into being a camp counselor, and through God's guidance I ended up volunteering at Camp Smile-a-Mile for a week in June. This is a camp for kids who currently have or have had cancer. It was an amazing experience, and I later had the opportunity to go back and work at one of their family weekend retreats. I can't wait to go back again this summer!

4. A year ago I was praying that my sister would have a healthy pregnancy. God answered our prayers when Maggie Anne Schornack was born on July 22. She is precious and I have loved getting to spend time with her and her big sister, Carson.

5. Of course I HAVE to mention football season! As you know by now, I am a HUGE Auburn fan, so this football season has been nothing short of AMAZING! We started off the season hoping to pull out at least 9 wins. We had a new quarterback that we were unsure of, and didn't really know what to expect from him. Well, unless you have been living under a rock for the past 4 months you know that we had an undefeated season (including a huge combeack win against Alabama), won the SEC Championship game, named that same unknown quarterback as the 3rd Auburn Tiger to receive the Heisman, and now the Auburn nation is preparing for a National Championship game on January 10. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment