Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back in the Saddle(bags) Again

So, here I am, back in that annoying place I have been so many times before - climbing the hill on the rollercoaster of dieting. Last January (2009), my friend Keri and I started Weight Watchers together. I also joined Curves and really stuck with counting/tracking my points. By September I had lost 40 lbs. I went to the doctor last week, and as always, they kindly welcomed me by showing me my growing weight (Nice to see you, too...ya jerks). Since September, I have gained back about 15 pounds. I have lots of excuses for why that is (football season, holidays, stress, cream cheese whispering my name until I caved and re-united with my old friend), but none of them are worthy of gaining back any of those pounds I worked so hard to lose.
I have started and re-started Weight Watchers approximately 37 times since January. Many Sunday nights have been deemed "The Last Supper" as I loaded up on a buffet of cheese, butter, chocolate, etc. in a last attempt to enjoy myself. The weeks have gone well, but I usually blow it over the weekend, which would be okay if I wanted to maintain my current weight, but I DON'T. So, here we go again.
Weight loss is not easy for me because of several reasons:
1) I LOVE food. I find small joy in a perfect cupcake or cheese dip or lasagna. The great thing about Weight Watchers, is I can still have all of those things, but I have to recondition my mind about what appropriate portions are. Apparently a whole basket of chips with cheese dip is slightly excessive.
2) I have little self control when it comes to food, especially sweets. If you offer me a donut or a brownie, I have a very hard time saying, "No thanks, I will have this delicious fat-free, sugar-free, taste-free chocolate pudding instead."
3) I do not enjoy exercise. One might say that I actually hate it. Okay, so that one would be me, but whatever. I do not like to sweat and I am lazy, so physical exercise ranks right up there with a trip to the gyno.
Basically, I can keep using these excuses until I am right back to where I started, or I can get serious this time and start losing again. I am choosing the latter. Over the next few weeks I will let you know how it's going and hopefully have some success to share with all of you. I am hereby officially stating that I am putting on my big girl panties and dealin' with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment