Monday, November 29, 2010

Take Three

Last September my 3 month membership with match.com was about to expire when I met this guy who seemed great ("Seemed" being the key word there. I mean I am pretty sure stirrup pants, blue eyeshadow, and crimped hair "seemed" great at one point, too). He was three years younger than me, but he seemed mature enough, so I figured I would give him the benefit of the doubt. (Mistake number 1). He was a high school teacher and coach, which I loved, since I teach and have a love for kids, too. He was a graduate of Alabama and a huge Bammer, but he kept it in check for the most part (keep in mind this was during football season). His facebook page led me to believe that maybe he was still a little too caught up in the lifestyle of a college student, but I just figured he hadn't updated his page in a while (mistake number 2).

Things started off great and before long I had really started to like him... a lot. He said and did all the right things and everything was going really well (for about a month). Of course looking back I know now that the odd feeling I had was the realization that this was not the best thing for me, that I needed to get out, walk away before I got too involved, etc. But at the time I could easily quiet that voice. This guy seemed really great, except for those few small minor issues that started to creep up, like making plans with me and bailing at the last minute or me feeling awkward asking him about his faith (which he told me that of course he prayed... before football games... to his grandmother). I figured we just needed to talk more about his religious background and then I would see that I misunderstood this. And of course he said that he would absolutely love to go to church with me, which I believed (mistake number 3). He also preferred to text instead of actually having a conversation with me over the phone, much less in person.

So, literally things took a drastic 180 before I could blink. One minute things were great, and one millisecond later he was confused, not sure if he had time for a relationship, blah, blah, blah (which he informed me of via text). In a way I was mad at myself for letting this go on as long as I did, what with all the glaring issues that were there from day one. After listening to Katy Perry's "Hot n' Cold" on repeat, licking my wounds, and some minor facebook stalking I decided to take a break from the wonderfully entertaining yet frustrating world of online dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment